Staging Diva Dispatch

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Real estate markets beginning to cool

It's so interesting how the media continue to report outstanding real estate results. Meanwhile in the real world the market is beginning to cool in many areas.

I've seen Toronto slow visibly in the last two weeks with many properties advertising new lower prices. Many agents had almost no one show up for their open houses this past weekend. Granted it was Thanksgiving in Canada, but in a very brisk Toronto market that doesn't usually slow things down too much.

In tandem with this slow down in home sales my phone is starting to ring off the hook with new clients who didn't feel they'd need a stager because the market was so hot and now weeks later, want me to come in and help them.

I heard from two of my Staging Diva students last night. One in Nevada and the other in San Diego. Both report the market is slowing down there as well. And they should know, they are real estate agents as well as home stagers.

Frankly, it's not a surprise. There is so much uncertainty right now with all these natural disasters, threats of terrorism, the war, high oil prices, talk of increasing interest rates and lower than expected job figures. Is it any wonder many people are taking a pause before jumping into purchasing the next bigger house?

All this bodes well for growth in the home staging business. You can read more about why home staging works in both "buyers" and "sellers" real estate markets at http://www.sixelements.com/housefluffing.html.

By the way, I wasn't REALLY suggesting the real estate market was going down the toilet with my choice of image for this story! I've staged many powder rooms but I really love how this one immediately screams "quality home" with very few props.

Did anyone tape the story on home staging on 20/20 October 7? I'd love to see a copy of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home